Every Wednesday, YNN’s Ed Keiner helps drivers get to know their vehicle better by providing tips on how to understand and correct your car’s mechanical problems -from changing your flat tire to jumping your car’s battery, Keiner proves to be
. Our National Automotive Correspondent, Lauren Fix, shares information on the latest vehicles and safety information in
Mondays on YNN.
The Car Coach: Putting the cost of gas into perspective
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Around the world, gasoline prices generally are much higher than in the United States. This is the case in most European countries, whereas in oil-rich nations like Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, gasoline is cheap.
In Venezuela, gasoline sells at around 12 cents a gallon. It’s cheaper than water. In Saudi Arabia, it’s about 45 cents per gallon. In Qatar, gasoline prices recently increased 25 percent to a whopping 88 cents per gallon.
Here are examples of the price of gasoline per gallon in other nations:
• Spain: $7.60
• Italy: $8.79
• France: $9.24
• Germany: $9.07
• Portugal: $9.13
• Czech Republic: $8.21
• Denmark: $9.69
• The Netherlands: $9.58
Think a gallon of gas is expensive? Did you know gas compared to other liquids is still cheaper, gallon-to-gallon?
Here’s a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump and put things in perspective:
• Brand Bleach: $2.56 a gallon
• Soda: $3.84 a gallon
• Diet Snapple (16 oz. $1.29): $10.32 per gallon
• Starbucks Coffee Grande: $7 per gallon
• Lipton Iced Tea (16 oz. $1.19): $9.52 per gallon
• Gatorade (20 oz. $1.59): $10.17 / gallon
• Ocean Spray (16 oz. $1.25): $10 / gallon
• Brake fluid (12 oz. $3.15): $33.60 / gallon
• Vick’s Nyquil (6 oz. $8.35): $178.13 per gallon
• White-Out (7 oz. $1.39): $25.42 per gallon
• Scope Mouthwash (1.5 oz. $0.99): $84.48 per gallon
• Name-brand cough syrup: $128 / gallon
• Champagne: $755 a gallon
• Nail polish: $ 1,024 a gallon.
• Bottled water $21.19 per gallon.
So the next time you’re at the pump, be glad your car doesn’t run on Scope, White-Out or Nyquil.