A South Austin family's home was heavily damaged by a fire Sunday.
Austin fire crews were called out just before 1 p.m. to the house on Desco Drive. When officials arrived, they reported heavy fire at the back of the house.
Crews tried to keep the fire from spreading further inside, but it was already in the attic. A collapse at the back of the house forced firefighters to move outside the home and go on the defensive.
The 44 firefighters called out to the scene were able to get it under control by about 1:35 p.m.
"For the amount of fire that was here when they arrived, they did a really good job of getting it under control pretty quickly,” said Lt. Eddie Martinez, of the Austin Fire Department.
The four people who live in the home were not there when the fire started. The Austin Fire Department said the fire started with an accidental, electrical malfunction in an air conditioning unit.